Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey Docs Named Among Tops in State
2013 Inside Jersey Listing Released
Source Newsroom: Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
Newswise — New Brunswick, N.J., September 16, 2013 – Several physicians at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey have been named as a ‘Top Doctor’ by Inside Jersey magazine.
Each year, Inside Jersey releases a list of the state’s top physicians in conjunction with Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., which publishes America’s Top Doctors. Based on peer nominations, attributes such as board certification, clinical skills, training, years in practice, achievements and other criteria are reviewed and assessed by a physician-led research team. More than 8,000 physicians across the state were asked to take part in the nomination process.
Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians who are also faculty members at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, on this year’s list are:
• Joseph Aisner, MD, Associate Director for Clinical Science; specialty: lung cancer
• David A. August, MD, Chief, Surgical Oncology; specialty: gastrointestinal malignancies
• Robert S. DiPaola, MD, Director; specialty: prostate cancer
• Richard Drachtman, MD, Interim Chief, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology; specialty: pediatric cancers and blood disorders
• James S. Goydos, MD, Director, Melanoma and Soft Tissue Oncology Program; specialty: melanoma, skin cancer and sarcomas
• Bruce G. Haffty, MD, Chair, Radiation Oncology; specialty: breast cancer
• Thomas Kearney, MD, FACS, Director, Breast Care Services; specialty: breast cancer
• Lorna Rodriguez, MD, PhD, Director, Precision Medicine; specialty: gynecologic cancers
• Roger Strair, MD, PhD, Chief, Hematologic Malignancies/Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation; specialty: leukemia and lymphoma
• Deborah L. Toppmeyer, MD, Chief Medical Officer; specialty: breast cancer
• Robert E. Weiss, MD, urologic oncologist; specialty: urologic cancers
“Serving as New Jersey’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey carries a tremendous responsibility in providing the latest treatment option to patients through cutting-edge research. We are honored that our peers across the state recognize our dedicated physicians, who by collaborating with a larger team of researchers and clinicians from across the region and nation, work toward eradicating cancer,” said Cancer Institute Director Robert S. DiPaola, MD.
A full listing of ‘Top Doctors’ can be found at: http://www.castleconnolly.com/doctors/index.cfm?source=ijtd. Full profiles of Cancer Institute doctors named to the list can also be found at http://www.cinj.org/physician/index.php.
About Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (www.cinj.org) is the state’s first and only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. As part of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, the Cancer Institute of New Jersey is dedicated to improving the detection, treatment and care of patients with cancer, and to serving as an education resource for cancer prevention. Physician-scientists at the Cancer Institute engage in translational research, transforming their laboratory discoveries into clinical practice, quite literally bringing research to life. To make a tax-deductible gift to support the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, call 732-235-8614 or visit www.cinj.org/giving. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheCINJ.
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey Network is comprised of hospitals throughout the state and provides the highest quality cancer care and rapid dissemination of important discoveries into the community. Flagship Hospital: Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. System Partner: Meridian Health (Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Ocean Medical Center, Riverview Medical Center, Southern Ocean Medical Center, and Bayshore Community Hospital). Major Clinical Research Affiliate Hospitals: Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Morristown Medical Center, Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Overlook Medical Center, and Cooper University Hospital. Affiliate Hospitals: CentraState Healthcare System, JFK Medical Center, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Hamilton (CINJ Hamilton), Shore Medical Center, Somerset Medical Center, The University Hospital/Rutgers New Jersey Medical School*, and University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro. *Academic Affiliate