Newswise — LEXINGTON, Ky. (Dec. 11, 2019) — If you are decorating for the holidays, here is advice to achieve a Griswold-worthy home for friends and family to enjoy. Joseph Rey-Barreau, with the University of Kentucky College of Design, has seven easy tips to help make your holiday space everything you’ve ever dreamed of — and make the "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" Griswold family jealous.
- Buy cost efficient lighting – Buy LED lights instead of regular lights. They are proven to be more energy efficient and cost effective — using only 1/10th the energy of a normal light bulb.
- Consider smart light bulbs – Consider changing your regular light bulbs to smart light bulbs. They have the ability to change color and add a festive vibe to any room.
- Try projection mapping lights – Projection mapping can be as simple or as complex as you want it. The benefit? You can buy them at many local stores, and there is no need to hang lights on your house. Put the projection in place and enjoy!
- Experiment with spotlights – Have a wreath on the front door? An easy, inexpensive way to add emphasis to an area on your house is with a spotlight. Just like projection mapping, no ladder required!
- Create contrast with light dimmers – One festive holiday idea people don’t think of is light dimmers. Dimming a light can create an entirely different atmosphere in a room and showcase the hard work you put into decorating. An example would be to dim the lights in the family room but have a spotlight on a fireplace mantle display to create a focal point.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative and enjoy the process – Whether you like colored lights or traditional lights, anything is possible with your own imagination and creativity. A major part of the holiday season is spending it with family and friends. Have them involved in the process and enjoy their company.
- Step back and evaluate your work – If you don’t like the way something looks, don’t be afraid to change it or start over.