Newswise — TORONTO, Sept. 4, 2012 --- Looking for a part-time job while juggling classes and homework can be difficult. These tips from Ryerson University’s Career Development and Employment Centre will help you cut your job search time in half:

1. Spread the WordLet your family, friends and acquaintances know that you are looking for part-time work and indicate your area of interest. Remember, if your connections don’t know that you’re seeking employment, they can’t help! Apply the 80/20 rule when sharing your job search progress with your social network online – 80 per cent of your updates should benefit/help others, and the other 20 per cent can be self-promotional.

2. Research and PrepareTarget your job search by researching companies you want to work for, and remember that everyone you meet could potentially link you to a job. Prepare and rehearse a 30-second elevator pitch that you can use on a prospective employer to highlight your relevant skills and experience.

3. Tailor your Resumé and Cover LetterUse key words in your resumé and cover letter that are included in the job description. Emphasize your relevant experience, skills, and accomplishments, and demonstrate to employers how you can contribute to their team.

4. Look On and Off CampusCheck out employment opportunities on campus, and talk to your professors to see if they can use an extra hand. Off campus, visit company websites and connect with professionals in the field. Also consider staffing agencies that provide opportunities for temporary work.

5. Network and ProspectUp to 80 per cent of all jobs are never advertised. Access the “hidden job market” by cold calling and sending resumés and cover letters to prospective employers even when there is no job posting. Build genuine connections within your target industry and approach people in your position of interest to get more useful information for your job search. When networking, always be prepared to follow up with your new contact with calls and emails.

6. Attend Career and Job FairsCareer and job fairs are a fantastic way to make direct contact with a number of companies in one setting. Research each company beforehand have your elevator pitch ready, and prepare some thoughtful questions for the interview.

7. Create Your Own OpportunitiesNot finding any part-time positions that catch your eye? Consider offering your skills and knowledge as a consultant. Did you ace a certain course? Perhaps you can tutor other students. Are you a whiz at fixing computer bugs, tailoring/altering clothing, minor landscaping, or cooking? The possibilities are endless!

Expert available for interviews:

Tang ChoyEmployability Support CounsellorCareer Development & Employment CentreRyerson University