College is an exciting time for young adults. But it can also be a time that leads to sudden health problems. College dorms and apartments can be infested with dust mites, mold and other allergens that can cause mild to life-threatening allergy and asthma symptoms.

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI), allergens hide in vast areas of dormitories and rental properties. Beds and carpeting can be consumed with dust mites, mold can be lurking in bathrooms, and roommates can introduce students to a variety of food allergens. There can also be other surprising culprits, such as latex in bathing caps and asthma-inducing chemicals in air fresheners.

Symptoms can strike minutes to months after arriving on campus, and can even plague those who haven’t had allergies in the past.

“Students need to take charge of their health and understand the hazards in their college living environment,” says allergist James Sublett, MD, chair of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Indoor Environment Committee. “By knowing what triggers your symptoms, you can take steps to keep healthy and active no matter where you are on campus.”

Dr. Sublett is available to discuss the health hazards of college living, tips for being symptom-free in dorms and apartments, and how to avoid triggers in other areas of campus.

To arrange an interview, please contact Christine Westendorf - Media Relations Manager – American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) – 847.427.1200 – [email protected]