A new testing application for the biomarker Heart-Type Fatty Acid-Binding Protein (H-FABP) has been revealed by global diagnostics company Randox Laboratories.
Whilst H-FABP is most commonly recognized as an early biomarker of myocardial infarction, the assay’s clinical utility in cardiac surgery associated acute kidney injury (CSA-AKI) is notable.
Studies have shown that patients who developed AKI following cardiac surgery had elevated levels of H-FABP both pre-and postoperatively compared to the patients who did not.
Susan Hammond, Randox Product Specialist, explained the new application for H-FABP;
“Cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury (CSA-AKI) is a well-recognized postoperative complication of cardiac surgery and is the second most common cause of AKI in the intensive care unit (ICU) - occurring in up to 30% of patients.
“Several AKI studies exist focusing on the measurement of H-FABP levels before, during and after cardiac surgery, one of which found that the post-operative H-FABP levels in patients who experienced any AKI increased 8-fold. It was also noted that the levels of those with severe AKI increased 13-fold and that 10.8% of patients who died from subsequent AKI all had elevated pre-operative levels of H-FABP.
“The Randox H-FABP assay is therefore an independent marker of AKI following cardiac surgery, and can furthermore be used as a CSA-AKI risk assessment assay even in advance of the procedure.”
It has been identified that certain patient groups are more susceptible to CSA-AKI and vulnerability can depend on age, sex, pre-existing cardiac dysfunction, pre-existing chronic kidney disease (CKD), previous cardiac surgery or comorbidity.
Susan Hammond added;
“The ability to include biomarkers that aid in the risk assessment and treatment plan management of a patient is significant. Utilizing H-FABP alongside traditional biomarkers to assess CSI-AKI risk allows the clinician to gain stronger clinical insight in how to improve patient outcomes.”
Key Benefits of Randox H-FABP assay
- A niche product from Randox meaning that Randox are one of the only manufacturers to offer the H-FABP assay in an automated biochemistry format
- CE marked for diagnostic use
- Automated assay offering a more convenient and time efficient method for H-FABP measurements compared to traditional testing
- Exceptional correlation of r=0.97 when compared against other commercially available methods
- Applications available detailing instrument-specific settings for the convenient use of the Randox H-FABP assay on a wide range of clinical chemistry analysers
- Liquid ready-to-use format for convenience and ease-of-use
- Latex enhanced immunoturbidimetric method delivering high performance compared to traditional ELISA testing
- Rapid results within fourteen minutes, depending on the analyser.
- Wide measuring range of 0.747 - 120ng/ml for the early detection of clinically important results
- Dedicated H-FABP controls and calibrator available offering a complete testing package