Newswise — ARLINGTON, Va., August 7, 2019 — The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) has selected 26 distinguished members to receive the ASTRO Fellow (FASTRO) designation. The 2019 class of Fellows will be recognized in September during ASTRO’s 61st Annual Meeting in Chicago.
The ASTRO Fellows program recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of radiation oncology and to the Society through research, education, patient care and service to the field. Since its inception in 2006, the FASTRO designation has been awarded to just 353 of ASTRO’s more than 10,000 members worldwide.
“On behalf of ASTRO, I commend these 26 outstanding physicians and scientists for their collective and far-reaching contributions to our specialty, as well as for each individual's work to advance cancer research, education and clinical care to improve patient outcomes,” said Paul Harari, MD, FASTRO, Chair of the ASTRO Board of Directors.
The 2019 Fellows are:
- Ron R. Allison, MD, Federal Medical Center
- Felipe A. Calvo, MD, Clinica Universidad de Navarra
- Allen M. Chen, MD, University of California, Irvine
- Gregg Franklin, MD, PhD, New Mexico Cancer Center
- Joel Greenberger, MD, UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
- Michele Yvette Halyard, MD, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale
- Daphne Haas-Kogan, MD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Kathleen M. Hintenlang, PhD, The Ohio State University
- Vivek Kavadi, MD, Texas Oncology
- Paul Keall, PhD, The University of Sydney
- Larry L. Kestin, MD, MHP Radiation Oncology Institute
- Deepak Khuntia, MD, Precision Cancer Specialists
- David Kirsch, MD, PhD, Duke University Medical Center
- Sunil Krishnan, MD, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Fei-Fei Liu, MD, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- Daniel Low, PhD, University of California, Los Angeles
- Matthew Manning, MD, Cone Health
- Rinaa Punglia, MD, MPH, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Ramesh Rengan, MD, PhD, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Ugur Selek, MD, PhD, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center-Istanbul
- Helen A. Shi, MD, MS, MPH, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Benjamin D. Smith, MD, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Srinivasan Vijayakumar, MD, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Akila N. Viswanathan, MD, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Catheryn Yashar, MD, University of California, San Diego
- Torunn Yock, MD, MCH, Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellows candidates must be nominated by a current ASTRO Fellow, accompanied by three letters of support from ASTRO members. A committee reviews all nominations and presents the candidates to ASTRO’s Board of Directors for approval.
ASTRO’s Annual Meeting, the world’s largest scientific meeting in radiation oncology, will be held September 15-18, 2019 at McCormick Place West in Chicago. The 2019 ASTRO Annual Meeting is expected to attract more than 10,000 oncologists, clinicians, researchers and other health care professionals from across the globe. Visit us online for more information about the ASTRO Annual Meeting and press registration for the meeting.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is the world’s largest radiation oncology society , with more than 10,000 members who are physicians, nurses, biologists, physicists, radiation therapists, dosimetrists and other health care professionals who specialize in treating patients with radiation therapies. The Society is dedicated to improving patient care through professional education and training, support for clinical practice and health policy standards, advancement of science and research, and advocacy. ASTRO publishes three medical journals, International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics, Practical Radiation Oncology and Advances in Radiation Oncology; developed and maintains an extensive patient website, RT Answers; and created the nonprofit foundation Radiation Oncology Institute. To learn more about ASTRO, visit astro.org or RTanswers.org, sign up to receive our news and follow us on our blog, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
MEDIA CONTACTRegister for reporter access to contact details
ASTRO’s 61st Annual Meeting