Newswise — The Score, a podcast about the issue of cheating in higher education, went live today on all the popular podcasting platforms. The Score is hosted by journalist Kathryn Baron who speaks with academic researchers and other experts on the problem of cheating plaguing higher education institutions across the globe. Click to Tweet.
The Score addresses the topics of contract cheating, essay mills, collusion, plagiarism, AI bots, and the simple ways students cheat on exams such as hiding notes or writing on their forearm, to the complex like using imposters, virtual machines, and electronic devices. Episodes also cover the for-profit cheating companies and the billion-dollar investments spawning new generations of cheating technology.
October 20 was picked as the launch day in recognition of the International Center for Academic Integrity’s International Day of Action Against Contract Cheating. Visit AcademicIntegrity.org for resources and research about this issue.
Episodes with the following guests are live today:
- 001 - Derek Newton, education journalist with bylines on academic integrity and cheating in Washington Post, USA Today, and The Atlantic, among others. Newton is also a contributor to Forbes and author of The Cheat Sheet on Substack.
- 002 - Jarret Dyer, former president of the NCTA, test center administrator and co-chair of Academic Integrity at College of DuPage, and a well-known, vocal expert on test administration, test security, and academic integrity.
- 003 - Dr. Tricia Bertram Gallant, an internationally known expert on integrity and ethics in education, author, speaker, consultant, practitioner, and board member of the International Center for Academic Integrity.
Episode 004, airing in November, will include:
- Eren Bilen of the Department of Data Analytics at Dickinson College will attend alongside Dr. Alexander Matros of the University of South Carolina, and an international chess master. Bilen and Matros will discuss their research published in September 2020 about cheating during the pandemic and their experience with online chess communities over the past two decades.
Read more about each episode, see show notes, or listen in at PodcastTheScore.com. Subscribe to The Score on most popular podcasting platforms, including Apple, Spotify, and Google or The Score’s RSS Feed. Follow The Score on Twitter and Instagram with @podcastTheScore.
Tags for this topic: #integritymatters #academicintegrity #myownwork
About The Score
The Score podcast delves into the complex and sometimes startling issues surrounding academic integrity in education and professional testing. Our host is the celebrated education reporter Kathryn Baron who talks with educators, researchers, and other journalists, all of whom are experts on the issue of integrity in academics and professional licensure. Subscribe to The Score on all popular podcast platforms, including Apple, Spotify, and Google. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram with @podcastTheScore.
- Listen to The Score podcast about #AcademicIntegrity and cheating in #HigherEd @podcastTheScore. First episodes live now on https://apple.co/3DvvmWp
- I'm subscribing to @podcastTheScore, a #podcast about cheating in college, why it happens and what to do about it. https://apple.co/3DvvmWp
- Derek Newton and Jarret Dyer are guests on the first podcast episodes of The Score. Interesting discussions about cheating in #HigherEd. https://podcastTheScore.com