ASCO Annual Meeting — WCHN Cancer Experts Available for Comment
Three nationally recognized oncologists from Western Connecticut Health Network (WCHN) will be onsite at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting. They will provide objective analysis of news announced at the meeting.
May 31 to June 4, 2019, Chicago, IL
- Name/Title: Linda Vahdat, MD, MBA; Chief of Medical Oncology and Clinical Director of Cancer Services, Norwalk Hospital; Breast Medical Oncologist, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK); Professor of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Specialties: Breast cancer that is at high risk of recurrence; metastatic breast cancer; triple negative breast cancer
- Clinical Trials/Research: Dr. Vahdat is currently conducting several clinical trials to study the effectiveness of new immunotherapies for the treatment of triple negative breast cancer. Clinical trial results were recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM): Sacituzumab Govitecan-hziy in Refractory Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, https://bit.ly/2W8Ub8w
GI Cancer, GU Cancer, Immunotherapy, Targeted Therapy
- Name/Title: Richard Frank, MD; Director of Clinical Cancer Research for WCHN; Medical Oncologist/Hematologist at Norwalk Hospital; Consultant in the Gastrointestinal Oncology Service at MSK
- Specialties: Gastrointestinal cancer (colon, esophageal, pancreatic, stomach); genitourinary cancer (bladder, kidney, prostate); immunotherapy; targeted therapy
- Clinical Trials/Research: Dr. Frank is leading a pancreatic cancer screening study at WCHN, the only study of its kind (National Cancer Institute designation number: NCT03250078). He aims to develop a screening test to detect pancreatic cancer at an earlier, more curable stage. He was recently featured in Oncology Times: Exploring New Ways to Screen for Pancreatic Cancer, https://bit.ly/2VDsK7n
- Name/Title: Linus Chuang, MD; Chairman of Obstetrics and Gynecology for WCHN; Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai; ASCO International Affairs Committee Chair (June 2019)
- Specialties: Gynecologic cancer surgeon; advanced treatment for gynecologic cancer such as laparoscopic debulking and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Clinical Trials/Research: Dr. Chuang is currently conducting clinical research at WCHN to develop an effective screening method for early detection of ovarian and endometrial cancers. He is part of the team that just achieved NRG Oncology site approval for WCHN hospitals.