As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to develop, parents may be receiving conflicting advice on how to handle playdates, virtual school lessons, child behavior and how to talk to kids about the virus.
The following experts from Michigan Medicine C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital are available for interviews to help with COVID-19 news stories specifically for parents.
- Jenny Radesky, M.D. and Tiffany Munzer, M.D. are developmental behavioral pediatricians and researchers at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. They can talk about how to manage playdates during social isolation, remote schoolwork, behavior issues and screen time. Dr. Radesky may also speak specifically about kids with special needs who are missing therapies (i.e. those with autism, ADHD and other medical needs.)
- Melissa Cousino, Ph.D., is a pediatric psychologist and researcher at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. Dr. Cousino can offer advice on how parents can talk to kids about COVID-19 and promote child coping during uncertain and changing times. See her recent Michigan Medicine blog post on this topic here.
C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital will also be addressing these topics in an upcoming Facebook Live event at noon EST on Wednesday, March 18 that allows parents and reporters to ask experts questions around these topics. Check for updates on the Mott Facebook page.
Some of the questions these experts may be able to address include:
- What is the best way to try to do social distancing with young kids?
- If kids want to have playdates, what guidelines should I follow? Indoors? Outside? Are playgrounds OK?
- Should I let my child create a social media account to keep in touch with friends?
- How do I manage my child’s behavior issues due to changes in routine?
- What if my child is missing out on therapy related to their health condition?
- How do I respond if my child is refusing to do schoolwork?
- What are some good tech/media options for kids?
- How can we try to stay calm?
- My child is exhibiting anxiety and depressed moods. What is normal and how do I help?
- How do I manage childcare help with friends and relatives?