Once deemed nothing more than signal-transmitters, the axons of nerve cells now emerge as far more complex and autonomous than thought, according to new research
12-Feb-2019 12:00 PM EST Add to Favorites
Researchers have created a new model-in-a-dish of sporadic Alzheimer’s, the most common form of the disease, which arises in people without family history.
Findings suggest early changes in neural stem cells raise the likelihood of developing...
29-Jan-2019 9:40 AM EST Add to Favorites
A study in human and mouse heart cells identifies a faulty molecular brake in the most common form of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a leading cause of sudden cardiac death in young people and athletes and the most common genetic disease of the heart...
28-Jan-2019 12:00 PM EST Add to Favorites
• First-of-its-kind study launched to examine the effects of personal networks on former NFL players’ health
• Findings could inform health interventions to reduce risk
• Short web-based survey provides personalized results and information...
25-Jan-2019 12:05 PM EST Add to Favorites
• Analysis of insurance records of more than 56,000 twin pairs assesses the influence of genes and environment in 560 diseases
• Going beyond the usual one-disease-at-a-time approach, the new method analyzes heritable and environmental factors...
10-Jan-2019 11:00 AM EST Add to Favorites
• Scientists reveal activated structure of a receptor critical for blood pressure, salt homeostasis
• Receptor is a target for drugs widely used to treat hypertension
9-Jan-2019 3:30 PM EST Add to Favorites
Recognizing the threat that climate change poses to both human health and the health care system itself, Harvard Medical School and its affiliated hospitals and clinical institutes have committed to extensively decarbonize their operations.
19-Dec-2018 4:35 PM EST Add to Favorites
Research in mouse cells identifies defective metabolic pathway in aging immune T cells.
The pathway is critical for switching T cells from dormancy into illness-fighting mode.
In experiments, researchers restored lagging T-cell function by adding...
13-Dec-2018 11:15 AM EST Add to Favorites
see all news