Newswise — Lawrenceville, NJ, USA—March 13, 2018—ISPOR, the professional society for health economics and outcomes research, announced plenary sessions and sspeakers for ISPOR 2018. The conference is scheduled for May 19-23, 2018 in Baltimore, MD, USA and will focus on the timely theme, “Real-Word Evidence, Digital Health, and the New Landscape for Health Decision Making.” Cochairs for the conference are C. Daniel Mullins, PhD, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, MD, USA and Rachael L. Fleurence, PhD, National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center, Arlington, VA, USA.
The first plenary session, “Inflection Point for Real-World Evidence? The Transformational Role of Digital Health,” is scheduled for Monday, May 21, 2018 The plenary will explore the promise of real-world evidence (RWE), the barriers to the use, and what the future holds globally for RWE. Plenary speakers/panelists have been working on cutting-edge initiatives related to RWE and include:
- Moderator: Rachael L. Fleurence, PhD
- Speaker: Adrian F. Hernandez, MD, MHS; Duke University School of Medicine; Durham, NC, USA
- Speaker: Michelle McMurry-Heath, MD, PhD; Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies, Washington, DC, USA
- Speaker: Danica Marinac-Dabic, MD, PhD, MMSc; US Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD, USA
- Speaker: Sally Okun, RN, MMHS; PatientsLikeMe, Cambridge, MA, USA
The second plenary session, “Digital Health—Help or Hype?,” will be held Tuesday May 22, 2018. The plenary will provide a balanced overview of the evidence that demonstrates where digital technologies have improved health and contrast where claims are mainly hype. Speakers will include:
- Moderator: C. Daniel Mullins, PhD
- Speaker: Chris A. Jones, DPhil, MSc; University of Vermont Health Network, trUStr.US, and Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
- Speaker: Ejim E. Mark, MD, MPH, MBA, Access Healthcare Foundation, Rockville, MD, USA
- Speaker: Nadia A. Sam-Agudu, MD; University of Maryland School of Medicine and Institute of Human Virology Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria
The third plenary session, “Examining the Role of Patient Preferences to Inform Regulatory Decisions,” is scheduled for Wednesday, May 23, 2018. The plenary session will feature a panel that will debate the strengths and limitations of stated-preference research and the extent to which patients’ views on benefit-risk tradeoffs for medical therapies can be relied upon to inform regulatory decisions. Speakers/panelists include:
- Moderator: Shelby D. Reed, PhD; ISPOR President (2017-2018) and Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
- Speaker: Bennett Levitan, MD, PhD; Janssen Research and Development, Titusville, NJ, USA
- Speaker: Matt Reaney, MSc; Sanofi, Guildford, Surrey, UK
- Speaker: Jeff Shuren, MD, JD; US Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD, USA
ISPOR is recognized globally as the leading professional society for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) and its role in improving healthcare decisions. ISPOR 2018 draws approximately 4000 healthcare stakeholders with an interest in HEOR, including policy makers, global thought leaders, researchers and academicians, public and private payers, decision makers, and patient representatives.
The conference also features the Society’s renowned Essential HEOR Education curriculum of half-day and full-day short courses May 19-20, 2018. The ISPOR Short Course Program offers more than 30 HEOR course topics. Additionally, a wide variety of breakout sessions, including issue panels, workshops, forums, educational symposia, podium presentations, and poster presentations will be featured.
ISPOR, the professional society for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR), is an international, multistakeholder, nonprofit dedicated to advancing HEOR excellence to improve decision making for health globally. The Society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the field.
Web: www.ispor.org | LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/ISPOR-LIn | Twitter: www.twitter.com/ISPORorg (@ISPORorg) | YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/ISPORorg/videos | Facebook: www.facebook.com/ISPORorg | Instagram: www.instagram.com/ISPORorg