Newswise — (Baltimore, MD) -- Mercy Medical Center is a recognized leader in the field of orthopedic medicine. Mercy has achieved the Healthgrades’ America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award™ for 2018-2019 (two years in a row) and 100 Best for Spine Surgery as well (three years in a row). The distinction places Mercy in the top two percent of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.
In addition to this honor, Mercy has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” ranking for 2019-2020, named “High Performing” in Geriatrics (Nationally, Adult Specialties) and in both Hip Replacement and Knee Replacement (Common Adult Procedure and Condition Ratings).
“Mercy has received numerous awards over the years for excellence in orthopedics. This recognition by Healthgrades is further evidence of Mercy’s leadership role in the field of orthopedic medicine,” said Thomas R. Mullen, President and CEO, Mercy Health Services, Mercy Medical Center.
“Many consumers believe that hospital quality is standardized, though the reality is that clinical quality and outcomes at hospitals vary widely across the country,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Healthgrades, Chief Medical Officer. “The hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s Best Hospitals distinction, as Mercy Medical Center has in both Orthopedics and Spine Surgery, have demonstrated a commitment to exceptional quality of care and can distinguish themselves to consumers seeking care at high-quality facilities.”
Mercy Medical Center’s orthopedic, joint replacement and spine programs have received a number of other accolades from Healthgrades in recent years, including:
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row
· Recipient of the Healthgrades 2019 Joint Replacement Excellence Award™
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row
· Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services
· Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Spine Surgery for 2 Years in a Row
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 4 Years in a Row
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Joint Replacement
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Spine Surgery for 3 Years in a Row
· Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement
· Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement for 4 Years in a Row
· Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment
· Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 4 Years in a Row
Recipients of the America's 100 Best Hospitals Awards are recognized for overall clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care. Hospitals showed superior performance in clinical outcomes for patients in the Medicare population across at least 21 of 32 most common inpatient conditions and procedures - as measured by objective performance data (risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications).
Mercy was recently ranked as one of the top midsize employers in the nation by Forbes magazine for the third consecutive year. Mercy Medical Center has been awarded an “A” from The Leapfrog Group’s spring 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, ranking it among the safest hospitals in the U.S. Mercy further received recognition by Healthgrades for achievements in Women’s Health, earning the 5-Star designation for hysterectomy, gynecologic procedures, and vaginal delivery, as well as special recognition for superior performance in gynecologic surgery.
Founded in 1874 in downtown Baltimore, MD, Mercy Medical Center is a university-affiliated hospital with a national reputation for women's health care. For more information, visit Mercy at www.mdmercy.com; MDMercyMedia on FACEBOOK and TWITTER; or call 1-800-M.D.-Mercy.