August 1st, 2019
- How can art help celebrate the essential role nurses play in the delivery of excellent, compassionate patient care? At Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), they provide a sense of celebration in a very special way, in the form of an artist-commissioned wall, unveiled on July 30 at SCCA’s main clinic. The wall features the names of more than 30 SCCA nurses who have ever received a Daisy Award. Members of the patient family who started the award, as well as the artist, are available for interview.
- On September 19 and 20, SCCA will host the second annual Immunotherapy Symposium. The event will unite oncology experts to present ever-expanding, innovative immunotherapy, including details about checkpoint inhibitors and adoptive cell transfer (CAR T-cells). ?]. Dr. Terry McDonnell, SCCA’s Chief Nurse Executive and VP of Clinical Operations, is available now for interviews.
- On July 19 and 20, Best of ASCO® came to Seattle’s Eastside. Two SCCA physicians were part of the presentations, which included the most significant findings originally presented at ASCO’s Annual Meeting:
- Shailender Bhatia, MD, University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center – Melanoma/Skin Cancers
- Petros Grivas, MD, PhD, University of Washington – Genitourinary (Nonprostate) Cancer
- Dr. Benjamin Anderson, MD, University of Washington, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center was selected by the Washington Global Health Alliance (WGHA) to receive the sixth annual Pioneers Award for Impact. Dr Anderson is the founder of the Breast Health Global Initiative (BHGI). Created in 2002, the community’s main goal is to improve breast cancer early diagnosis and treatment in low-resource settings.