The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) will release a new collection of Scientific Pronouncements: Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2nd Edition in the June issue of its flagship journal, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®. Authored by ACSM fellows and members, these 14 new pronouncements present the scientific reviews underlying the updated physical activity guidelines that were released in November 2018.
Each pronouncement addresses a specific topic, presenting the science and identifying key knowledge gaps for future research to address. Health care providers, fitness professionals, scientists, community organizations and policymakers can use these pronouncements to help the public understand the importance of more active, healthier lifestyles.
The ACSM Scientific Pronouncements: Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans collection includes an introduction from the U.S. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee along with these 14 new pronouncements:
- Daily Step Counts for Measuring Physical Activity Exposure and Its Relation to Health
- Association between Bout Duration of Physical Activity and Health: Systematic Review
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for Cardiometabolic Disease Prevention
- Sedentary Behavior and Health: Update from the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee
- Physical Activity, Cognition and Brain Outcomes: A Review of the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines
- Physical Activity in Cancer Prevention and Survival: A Systematic Review
- Physical Activity and the Prevention of Weight Gain in Adults: A Systematic Review
- Physical Activity, All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality, and Cardiovascular Disease
- Physical Activity and Health in Children under 6 Years of Age: A Systematic Review
- The Benefits of Physical Activity during Pregnancy and Postpartum: An Umbrella Review
- Physical Activity, Injurious Falls and Physical Function in Aging: An Umbrella Review
- Physical Activity to Prevent and Treat Hypertension: A Systematic Review
- Effects of Physical Activity in Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Umbrella Review
- Physical Activity Promotion: Highlights from the 2018 PAGAC Systematic Review
The pronouncements will be published in the June 2019 issue of ACSM’s flagship journal, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®.
The American College of Sports Medicine is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world. More than 50,000 international, national and regional members and certified professionals are dedicated to advancing and integrating scientific research to provide educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine. More details at www.acsm.org.
To receive an embargoed copy of one or more of the pronouncements and to arrange for an interview with an author, contact Lisa Ramage, ACSM media relations manager, at email@example.com.