The idea of freezing and many years later thawing out the human body has been a favorite of storytellers for decades, including for popular characters like Captain America and Austin Powers. But the science of cryopreservation may be even more interesting.
Dayong Gao, a mechanical engineering professor at the University of Washington, is an internationally recognized scientist in the field of cryo-biomedical engineering.
Gao is happy to be interviewed for Halloween stories and can speak about the following topics:
- challenges with freezing human organs and bringing them back to life
- advances in developing novel technology for cryopreservation of living cells, tissues and organs
- conservation of endangered species
- developing artificial organs
- cellular therapy and regenerative medicine-tissue engineering
More details in this recent story.