• HIV infection occurred in 68% of the HIV-positive transplant recipients’ new kidneys even in the absence of any detectable HIV in their blood.
• A new urine test can detect these infections and lead to better diagnosis and treatment
11/29/2013 8:00 AM EST
• Among a group of veterans discharged from the hospital after acute kidney injury or heart attacks, death occurred most often in patients who experienced both conditions and least often in patients experiencing heart attacks alone.
12/2/2013 2:00 PM EST
• Most older adults initiate chronic dialysis in the hospital.
• Those who have a prolonged hospital stay and receive other forms of life support around the time of dialysis initiation have limited survival and eventually need to undergo more...
11/15/2013 8:00 AM EST
Starting Dialysis After—Not Before— Conception May Improve Birth Rates in Women with Advanced Kidney Disease
• Compared with women with advanced kidney disease who conceived after starting dialysis, women who conceived and then started dialysis during the pregnancy had a much better live birth rate (91% vs 63%), but their infants were of similar birth...
11/8/2013 8:00 AM EST
The HOPE Act could allow individuals with HIV to receive organ transplants from donors with HIV, and may help reduce the country’s current organ shortage. The American Society of Nephrology worked hard to ensure passage of this no-cost legislation...
11/12/2013 4:05 PM EST
Dr. Moe's priorities include reducing health disparities, strengthening the workforce, protecting research, and improving quality of care.
11/12/2013 10:00 AM EST
• In patients with hypertensive nephropathy, kidney health was preserved in those consuming extra fruits and vegetables, which are highly alkaline.
• In patients with chronic kidney disease, those with high dietary acid levels experienced...
10/29/2013 7:00 AM EDT
• Preeclampsia was associated with an increased likelihood of developing kidney failure; however, after adjusting for diabetes and hypertension, the association was attenuated and no longer significant.
• Additional studies are needed to...
10/24/2013 1:00 PM EDT