Common Viral Infection in Kidney Transplant Recipients Increases Risk of Developing Donor-Specific Antibodies
• Among kidney transplant recipients, persistent infection with BK virus does not have a negative immediate-term impact on patient or kidney survival, but infected patients are more likely to develop antibodies against their kidney transplants....
19-Sep-2014 11:00 AM EDT
• Dialysis drives progressive white matter brain injury due to blood pressure instability; however, patients who dialyzed at 0.5◦C below body temperature were completely protected against such white matter changes.
12-Sep-2014 9:00 AM EDT
• Among new dialysis patients, the most frequently cited concerns were that patients felt they were doing fine on dialysis and felt uncomfortable asking someone to donate a kidney.
• Older age was linked with having high health-related or...
5-Sep-2014 10:00 AM EDT
Jane Schell, MD, an Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, is the inaugural recipient of the William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars program, established to further nephrology education and teaching.
10-Sep-2014 1:00 PM EDT
Hospitalizations for Heart Failure Increase Kidney Disease Patients’ Risk of Kidney Failure, Premature Death
• Among patients with chronic kidney disease, the risks of developing kidney failure or dying prematurely increased markedly in a step-wise fashion after each successive hospitalization for heart failure.
29-Aug-2014 7:00 AM EDT
• When dialysis patients reported discussions about transplantation with clinicians, they had a nearly 3-fold increased likelihood of being listed for transplantation, but clinician-reported discussions did not increase a patient’s likelihood of...
22-Aug-2014 10:00 AM EDT
Calcium Buildup in Coronary Arteries Predicts Heart Disease Risk in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
• Calcium build-up in the coronary artery walls was more useful for correctly predicting kidney disease patients’ risk of heart disease than other measures of atherosclerosis such as thickness of the carotid artery walls and narrowing of the...
16-Aug-2014 12:45 PM EDT
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) congratulates The New York Times for calling attention to transplant tourism and organ trafficking. Yet ASN is disappointed with the article’s characterization of dialysis and failure to address...
19-Aug-2014 10:00 AM EDT