• Members of the public in Australia considered reimbursement and justifiable recompensation of costs related to organ donation to be legitimate ways of supporting living donors.
• Financial payment beyond reimbursement was regarded as morally...
17-Apr-2015 9:05 AM EDT
Among dialysis patients, genetically related family members have about a 70% increased risk of cardiac arrest compared with unrelated dialysis patients.
Spouses on dialysis do not have an increased risk.
10-Apr-2015 8:05 AM EDT
• Researchers have developed a system that could be used to identify novel drug candidates that protect the function of the kidney cells that are damaged in patients with chronic kidney disease.
• One drug identified through the system...
3-Apr-2015 8:05 AM EDT
The Kidney Health Initiative (KHI) is seeking input from patients with kidney disease and their family members on future treatment options. The perspectives gathered in this new KHI project will help inform development of therapeutics and devices...
6-Apr-2015 9:00 AM EDT
• High parathyroid hormone levels and subsequent bone loss are major risk factors for worsening of coronary artery calcification in patients on dialysis.
27-Mar-2015 8:00 AM EDT
• For older patients in need of a kidney transplant, rapid transplantation from an older deceased donor is superior to delayed transplantation from a younger donor.
• Kidneys from older donors do not have sufficient longevity to provide...
20-Mar-2015 8:00 AM EDT
• Compared with uninfected (HIV-/HCV-) kidney transplant recipients, mono-infected HIV+ (HIV+/HCV-) recipients had similar 5-year and 10-year kidney survival rates, while HIV+ recipients co-infected with HCV (HIV+/HCV+) had worse kidney survival...
13-Mar-2015 9:00 AM EDT
• Among pregnant women, the risk for adverse pregnancy outcomes—such as preterm delivery or the need for neonatal intensive care—increased across stages of chronic kidney disease.
• The risks of intrauterine death or fetal...
6-Mar-2015 7:05 AM EST