Newswise — The University of California, San Diego will recognize the contributions of César E. Chávez throughout the months of April and May with a series of events which will include film screenings; a celebration of Chicano Park’s 43rd anniversary; a lecture from Hilda Solis, former U.S. Secretary of Labor; and several outreach events with the San Diego community.
Chávez, the principal figure in the Chicano Civil Rights Movement and co-founder of the United Farm Workers (UFW), is recognized with a statewide holiday on his birthday, March 31. At UC San Diego, César Chávez Day will be observed on Friday, March 29.
“We are proud to celebrate the life and legacy of César E. Chávez at UC San Diego,” said Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “Our month-long series of events honor his achievements, raise awareness about the struggle for equal rights and underscore our campus’s commitment to equity, service and community engagement.”
The kick-off to the UC San Diego César E. Chávez events is on April 3 and will feature a keynote address from Hilda Solis, the 25th U.S. Secretary of Labor in the Barack Obama administration. The topic will focus on what Chávez symbolizes in the 21st century.
The co-chair of the campus’s César E. Chávez month planning committee and UC San Diego professor of education studies, Frances Contreras, describes the range of events as targeted to the campus and its surrounding communities. “This year we are fortunate to have Hilda Solis, the first Latina to serve in a presidential administration as the Secretary of Labor, attending our kick-off events,” said Contreras. “We are also pleased to present a host of high profile events designed to engage the entire campus and San Diego region. The committee has worked hard to ensure that the speakers and events celebrate the legacy of César E. Chávez and his commitment to workers’ rights, educational equity and civil rights."
A sampling of UC San Diego’s César E. Chávez month events and details are below. For more information on the campus’s celebration, go to blink.ucsd.edu/HR/policies/diversity/chavez.html:
- April 3, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p. m., UC San Diego’s 2013 César E. Chávez Celebration Kickoff!UC San Diego’s opening event features a lunch and awards honoring individuals for furthering Chávez’s ideals in their communities. To order tickets, contact email@example.com or (858) 534-6862. All proceeds will benefit MEChA’s Raza Graduation. UC San Diego Price Center East Ballroom.
- April 3, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Hilda Solis: What César Chávez Symbolizes in the 21st Century. The first Latina to serve as Secretary of the Department of Labor and former member of the U.S. House of Representatives shares her perspective on the critical role that higher education plays in creating a highly skilled and diverse workforce. A reception follows. Sponsored by the Helen Edison lecture series. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. UC San Diego Price Center Ballroom East.
- April 6, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 35th Annual Thurgood Marshall College Cultural Celebration––The festival, part of UC San Diego’s annual Triton Day, will feature music, dance, games and a children’s village with face painting, cotton candy, a henna workshop, petting zoo and more. Free parking. For more information, contact (858) 534-4390. On the campus of UC San Diego’s Thurgood Marshall College.
- April 20, All Day, Chicano Park’s 43rd Anniversary: Aztlan’s Jewel, A National Treasure––The trip for UC San Diego students includes vendors, entertainment, free transportation from UC San Diego to Barrio Logan and lunch at the historic Las Cuatro Milpas restaurant. For more information, contact email@example.com or (858) 534-1585. Chicano Park in San Diego’s Barrio Logan.
- April 30, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., La Mission (2009 film)––Starring Benjamin Bratt, La Mission tells the story of a reformed inmate and recovering alcoholic who has worked hard to redeem his life and do right by his only son, Jess. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 534-9689. UC San Diego Cross-Cultural Center.
- May 7, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chicano Legacy: 40 Años Mural (2011 documentary)––This film chronicles the back story, installation and unveiling of the Mario Torero mural at Peterson Hall on the UC San Diego campus. For more information, contact email@example.com or 858-534-9689. UC San Diego Cross-Cultural Center.