Newswise — New Brunswick, N.J., November 22, 2021 –If you’re undergoing cancer treatment, caring for a family member or friend who has cancer, or grieving the loss of a loved one who had cancer, the holidays can be a difficult time. There are strategies to help reduce stress and keep cancer from dampening your holiday joy. Gabrielle Alvarez, MSW, LCSW and Samantha Campanella, MSW, L CSW, OSW-C, social workers at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, share some practical tips to minimize stress during the holiday season.
- Recognize the physical and emotional stress attending gatherings may create. It is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to modify your plans to make time for adequate rest.
- Focus on balanced meals, avoid excesses and make time for light exercise to reduce stress.
- Self-care is an essential part of maintaining well-being and managing stress. Allow time for self-care activities you enjoy such as reading, listening to music or crafting.
- Remember it is normal to experience feelings of sadness over how cancer may have changed your holiday season. Be patient, compassionate and gentle with yourself.
- Though it may be uncomfortable expressing these normal feelings with family, friends or a helpful professional, do it anyway. You might also consider joining a support group.
For families and friends of cancer patients:
- Instead of focusing on losses and what you and/or your loved ones aren’t able to do this year, try doing something new.
- Volunteer to assist with activities like holiday shopping, cooking, or wrapping gifts.
- Practice self care, too. Take the time you need to enjoy the holiday season for yourself.
- If you have experienced a loss to cancer, allow yourself the space to express emotions when needed. Grief brings a range of emotions, from sadness and anger to guilt.
- Most importantly, be there to listen to and support your loved one with cancer.
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, the state’s only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center together with RWJBarnabas Health offers support services for cancer patients and families, including stress management. Learn about our Patient Support Services program.