SVS and APMA Alliance Provides Better Care to Diabetic Patients
Source Newsroom: Society for Vascular Surgery
Newswise — The Society for Vascular Surgery® (SVS) and the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) announce formation of a strategic collaboration to help advance the care of patients with critical limb ischemia, especially in the diabetic population. The multidisciplinary team approach was outlined during a meeting between leaders of both associations in August.
The collaboration includes an agreement approved by the respective boards of SVS and APMA to identify clinical issues, questions important to both memberships, and to work together to find solutions that will benefit our patients. Specifically, in the August leadership meeting, it was agreed to:
1. Appoint a group representing both organizations to write a joint statement on the multidisciplinary team approach to the care of diabetic foot
2. Produce a supplement on the care of the diabetic foot that will be jointly published in the Journal of Vascular Surgery® and the Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association
3. Establish joint postgraduate courses to be held at the annual scientific meetings of both organizations
4. Collaborate on practice guidelines and reporting standards dealing with the care of diabetic foot
5. Collaborate on advocacy and public awareness efforts in areas of common interest
“Vascular surgeons and podiatrists have always worked together to provide the best care for patients with diabetic foot problems,” said Anton N. Sidawy, president, SVS. “We are pleased to formalize an alliance with APMA so that we can jointly work on the prevention and management of diabetic foot, which would positively impact the care of our patients. Our staffs will conduct public education programs to raise awareness and promote prevention.”
A Management of the Diabetic Foot session was a highlight at the SVS’ 2009 Vascular Annual Meeting®. The video of this session has been made available to APMA through a VascularWeb.org at http://tinyurl.com/ycdy8tx.
About the Society for Vascular Surgery®
The Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) is a not-for-profit society that seeks to advance excellence and innovation in vascular health through education, advocacy, research and public awareness. SVS is the national advocate for 3,000 vascular surgeons dedicated to the prevention and cure of vascular disease. Visit the website at www.VascularWeb.org.