Federation of State Medical Boards Launches New Website
Redesigned website provides enhanced experience for users of FSMB examination, credentials verification and licensure services
Source Newsroom: Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
Newswise — Euless, Texas (June 24, 2014) – The Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) announced that it has released a redesigned website at www.fsmb.org. The new site’s improved structure and intuitive navigation provide an enhanced experience for users of FSMB’s examination, licensure and credentials verification services, as well as easy access to valuable resources for members of the public interested in researching their physicians and regulatory information.
The FSMB supports the nation’s state medical boards, which regulate the nation’s 878,000 actively licensed physicians, as they pursue their mandate of protecting the public’s health, safety and welfare. The FSMB website hosts services used by tens of thousands of physicians each year, including rigorous examination and credentialing systems for those who seek a license to practice medicine. Other services help medical boards, hospitals and health care organizations and consumers check the background of physicians.
“The new website was created with the experience of the many users of our services firmly in mind,” said FSMB Chief Information Officer Michael Dugan, MBA. “It is designed to be responsive and compatible with today's browsers and mobile devices – allowing users to easily connect with the information, product or service most meaningful to them.”
Gateway to Medical Licensure Services
The FSMB website hosts several services essential for physicians during the medical licensure process and throughout their careers:
• United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) – The rigorous USMLE exam assesses a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts and principles, and to demonstrate fundamental patient-centered skills. The Post-Licensure Assessment System provides valuable diagnostic tools for evaluating the ongoing competence of licensed or previously licensed physicians.
• Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS) – Used by more than 175,000 physicians since its inception, FCVS verified the credentials for more than half of all new physician licenses in the U.S. in 2013. The enhanced website builds on other recent technical upgrades as FCVS offers its fastest cycle times for document processing in its history.
• Uniform Application for Physician State Licensure (UA) – With a core licensure application that a physician can easily update and reuse their entire careers, the Uniform Application streamlines the process for physicians applying for licensure in multiple states.
Data for Checking the Background of Physicians
The FSMB website hosts key services that assist medical boards, hospitals, health care organizations and consumers in checking the backgrounds of physicians:
• Physician Data Center – Medical boards and credentialing organizations routinely query the FSMB’s national database of licensure and disciplinary data when checking the credentials and backgrounds of physician licensure applicants. The database also provides an automated Disciplinary Alert Service, enabling medical boards and credentialing entities to quickly identify disciplined physicians who attempt to change locations without detection.
• Physician Search Tools for the Public – The Physician Data Center offers consumers a physician search tool (www.docinfo.org) to check the credentials and disciplinary history of their physicians.
Legislative Resources for State Medical Boards and Policymakers
The FSMB website is home to FSMB’s public policy resources, including resources to assist state medical boards in tracking important legislation and helpful information for federal and state policymakers and researchers interested in medical regulatory issues. Key resources include:
• Complete compendium of FSMB public policies on today’s critical health care issues.
• Charts analyzing key medical regulatory issues and legislative developments in each state.
• An automated tracking tool allowing users to browse bills of interest; the site is auto-updated every two hours.
Educational Resources for State Medical Boards and Physicians
The FSMB website continually hosts valuable resources that assist medical boards in advancing their mission of public protection while providing physicians with Continuing Medical Education on key medical issues. Recent educational offerings include:
• Free, online CME courses on the responsible prescribing of extended-release (ER) and long-acting (LA) opioid analgesics, along with the appropriate use of these analgesics in the treatment of pain as well as the treatment of opioid addiction in the medical office.
• National conference that brings together experts in the field of medical licensure and discipline to discuss a wide range of topics relevant to the work of state medical boards.
• Educational workshops designed specifically for attorneys and the legal counsel of state medical boards.
About the FSMB
The FSMB is a national non-profit organization representing all medical boards within the United States and its territories that license and discipline allopathic and osteopathic physicians and, in some jurisdictions, other health care professionals. It assists these state and territorial medical boards as they go about their mandate of protecting the public’s health, safety and welfare. The FSMB leads by promoting excellence in medical practice, licensure, and regulation. For more information, please visit www.fsmb.org.