After Hurricane Sandy, New Jersey Residents Support Government Mitigation, But Not Footing the Bill

Only a small fraction of New Jersey residents are willing to pay more to reduce the likelihood of severe damage from future hurricanes that hit the state.

– Society for Risk Analysis (SRA)|4/17/2014 10:15 AM EDT

Kansas State Professor Leads Group Making Recommendations on Climate Change Mitigation

ChuckRicePortrait.jpg

Changing agricultural practices and ending food waste around the world are among recommendations made by scientists charged with looking at ways to mitigate global climate change. The scientists were authors who contributed to a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

– Kansas State University Research and Extension|4/17/2014 10:00 AM EDT

20 Years of Data Shows Treatment Technique Improvement for Advanced Abdominal Cancer

Wake Forest Baptist has the largest reported, single-center experience with cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC and analysis of 20 years’ worth of patient data shows that outcomes have clearly improved for patients undergoing this treatment technique.

– Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center|4/17/2014 10:00 AM EDT

Patented Research Remotely Detects Nitrogen-Rich Explosives

dunn.jpg

A Kansas State University engineer has developed a patented technique that improves military security and remotely detects improvised explosive devices. The same technique could help police during drug searches.

– Kansas State University|4/17/2014 10:00 AM EDT

New MRSA Superbug Emerges in Brazil

CesarArias.jpg

An international research team led by Cesar A. Arias, M.D., Ph.D., at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) has identified a new superbug that caused a bloodstream infection in a Brazilian patient. The report appeared in the April 17 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

– University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston|4/17/2014 6:00 AM EDT

Friction Harnessed by Proteins Helps Organize Cell Division

Forth_MAPs_combo041514.jpg

A football-shaped structure, known as the mitotic spindle, makes cell division possible for many living things. This piece of cellular architecture, responsible for dividing up genetic material, is in constant flux. The filaments that form it grow and shrink, while motor-like molecules burn energy pushing them about. To ensure the complex process proceeds in an orderly fashion, molecular fasteners pin the filaments together in certain places, and new research in Tarun Kapoor’s Laboratory of Chemistry and Cell Biology helps explain how they do it.

– Rockefeller University|4/16/2014 5:20 PM EDT

2014 Urban Forums Conference Puts Focus on Neighborhoods

UrbanForumsExhibit.jpg

Where you live matters. That’s the common theme for geographers, sociologists, urban planners and other scholars gathering in April for the 2014 Urban Forums, titled Neighborhoods: The Measure and Meaning of an Urban Ideal, hosted by the University of Chicago Urban Network.

– University of Chicago|4/16/2014 5:00 PM EDT

Declining Catch Rates in Caribbean Nicaragua Green Turtle Fishery May Be Result of Overfishing

Picture1.jpg

A 20-year assessment of Nicaragua’s legal, artisanal green sea turtle fishery has uncovered a stark reality: greatly reduced overall catch rates of turtles in what may have become an unsustainable take, according to conservation scientists from the Wildlife Conservation Society and University of Florida.

– Wildlife Conservation Society|4/16/2014 5:00 PM EDT
  • “The attendance at this year’s Airline Quality Rating event was the most we’ve had in a number of years, with about 10 TV cameras at the news conference.... We were extremely pleased with the turnout. It is a pleasure working with you and the Newswise staff. They are most helpful!more >>

—Joe Kleinsasser, Wichita State University

• “I do follow your regularly e-mailed announcements of press releases and, as a medial journalist, I find them of great value.  The announcements regularly lead me to items of interest, which I report on in our Pain-Topics News/Research UPDATES. more >>

—Reporter

• “Release on cellphones and radiation exposure gains major news coverage.

more >>

—Environmental Health Trust

• “Seven years later I still am getting coverage for a story on contaminated makeup counters that I pitched in 2004. At the time we had more than 100 hits around the globe, in places I never could have reached without spending weeks with directories, web searches and emails. Newswise enabled me to reach reporters and outlets I could only dream about: CNN and 20/20 covered the story, as did...more >>

—Pat Quigley, Rowan University

• “ I love the ease and convenience of scanning the Newswise digests. I can quickly find exactly what I need: the newest research studies....What's more, the neuroscientists I found from Newswise press releases took starring roles in my latest book, Brain Sense.more >>

—Faith Byrnie, Book Author and Freelance Journalist

• “I use it all the time.more >>

• “Your service is great! more >>

• “I sent out a request for expert input through Newswise and got a very impressive response from a wide spectrum of experts who offered themselves as expert interview subjects.... I think it's a great enhancement to any reporter's search for sources and information. more >>

—Freelance Reporter

• “I definitely find Newswise valuable and use it quite often to search for studies or find experts. more >>

—Freelance Reporter

• “Newswise is one of my absolute favorite vehicles for getting media attention. It is so user-friendly to enter (and edit) stuff; you all are incredibly helpful; the format of Newswise looks professional; and it clearly has a wider audience (and more respect) than other vehicles.more >>

—Terry Goodrich, Baylor University

• “Using Newswise, I was able to reach the target media instantly and gain some nice national media placements as well as placements on key websites and blogs. The story landed 25 placements, something that pleased me and the researchers.more >>

—Bill Harms, University of Chicago

• “Your service is one of the most dependable and reliable out there. The bonus is that the content is rich, timely and oh-so useful.more >>

—Freelance Journalist

• “The easy access, patient and incredibly helpful customer support we receive from Newswise staff is the real hallmark of Internet-based service in today's fast-paced, communication world. more >>

—Jeannie Jones Manzer, South Dakota State University

• “As an independent public relations professional, I rely on the knowledge that when a medical/health writer sees the Newswise name, they know the content they’re receiving will be relevant and timely.more >>

—Leni Kass, RealTime Communications

• “We received quite a number of Newswise Wire follow-up calls. Most lead to stories by reporters....A significant portion of response from reporters came from Newswise via the ATS meeting wire. That was a huge outreach.more >>

—Keely Savoie, American Thoracic Society (ATS)

• “In total, at least 29 sources either republished the "No Soap" story ...that we posted on Newswise.more >>

—Holly Hosler, LifeBridge Health

• “I find Newswise especially helpful in reaching bloggers, who are difficult to find, often too numerous to pitch individually and whose contact information is rarely made public. One recent story about a business professor who studies fantasy football was featured in 10 or 12 blogs about fantasy sports, none of which I even knew existed. Another example was a blogger for MSNBC.com who saw...more >>

—Tom Snee, University of Iowa

• “I use Newswise now on a weekly basis to develop possible stories for the Harvard Health Blog, which is one of my duties. I find it very useful, and am grateful for the service you provide—and you can quote me on that!more >>

—Staff Reporter

• “Love the idea that now I can find the title via google!!! All in one place!! Nice move!more >>

—Janet Vasquez, Business School of Happiness

• “As a PR/communications professional it is reassuring to work with an organization like Newswise. You folks are great!more >>

—Phyllis Edelman, Genetics Society of America

Previous commentNext comment

Cancer News Source is a Newswise initiative to promote cancer research news to the public and news media.

Newswise is where journalists choose, connect, and use smart news.

Journalists use Newswise as a source for news leads and experts from the world’s leading organizations. Members of the media can get a PressPass for access to privileged Embargoed News and expert contact information.

Newswise members use Newswise to reach the media with their news releases through our website and email wires. Members are innovative, influential organizations world-wide, including top medical schools, universities, research institutions, public relations firms, government agencies, non-profit organizations, associations and advocacy groups.

Anyone interested in knowledge-based news can register for Newswise and subscribe to the email wires.

Read more about Newswise

Find out about membership opportunities

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Stumbleupon

Join our LinkedIn group for communications professionals:

PRwise