'Triad Triage Trio' Spreads the Word about Heart Disease and Stroke Risk, Reports AHA's Heart Insight

In North Carolina, a stroke survivor, a heart attack survivor, and a heart transplant recipient have teamed up to share their experiences—with the goal of encouraging others to reduce their own cardiovascular disease risks. The "Triad Triage Trio" is featured in the August issue of Heart Insight, a quarterly magazine for patients, their families and caregivers. Heart Insight is published by the American Heart Association (AHA) and Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, part of Wolters Kluwer Health.

– American Heart Association (AHA)|24-Jul-2014 10:50 AM EDT

Teaching the Internet Generation to Extract Reliable News from Onslaught of Digital Information

SchneiderHoward.jpg

As the digital age began to forever change how news and information were transmitted, Stony Brook University School of Journalism faculty members considered the following challenge: “Could they create an educational model that would prepare the next generation of news consumers to navigate the new, emerging information ecosystem and discover for themselves what news was trustworthy?” They met this challenge by working with the University to create the nation’s first Center for News Literacy, which is the subject of new paper published by “The Brookings Institution” this month.

– Stony Brook University|24-Jul-2014 10:35 AM EDT

Researchers Create the First Model of the DNA 'Replication Fork'

ODonnell_pcna_main_07232014.jpg

Human cells make new copies of their DNA billions of times each day, a crucial process upon which life itself depends. However, scientists do not fully understand how cells unzip the double-stranded DNA molecule before replicating both halves of it. New work at Rockefeller may help change that.

– Rockefeller University|24-Jul-2014 10:00 AM EDT

Dream Come True? Creating Organic Zeolites

yanzeolite.jpg

In a landmark paper -- "Designed Synthesis of Large-Pore Crystalline Polyimide Covalent Organic Frameworks” -- published in the July 23 edition of the international scientific journal Nature Communications, University of Delaware researcher Yushan Yan describes a new approach to creating organic zeolites.

– University of Delaware|24-Jul-2014 9:35 AM EDT

Background TV Can Be Bad for Kids

BackgrdTVstory-photo.jpg

Leaving the television on can be detrimental to children's learning and development, according to a new study from the University of Iowa. Researchers found that background television can divert a child’s attention from play and learning. Results appear in the Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics.

– University of Iowa |24-Jul-2014 9:30 AM EDT

Rising Temperatures Can Be Hard on a Dog's Life

hotdog.jpg

Kansas State University veterinarian says to know the signs of heat exhaustion to make sure your pet isn't overdoing it this summer.

– Kansas State University|24-Jul-2014 9:30 AM EDT

Hubble Finds Three Surprisingly Dry Exoplanets

p1436aw.jpg

Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have found that bloated hot Jupiters have less water vapor than predicted.

– Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)|24-Jul-2014 8:00 AM EDT

The Signal and the Noise

Dohlman_CARS.jpg

UNC's Henrik Dohlman is like a mechanic for cells. He takes them apart to see how they function. He can tell you what part is like a gas pedal and which part is like the brakes. Now he’s can show us why these brakes don’t work the same even in cells that are genetically identical.

– University of North Carolina School of Medicine|24-Jul-2014 8:00 AM EDT
  • “The attendance at this year’s Airline Quality Rating event was the most we’ve had in a number of years, with about 10 TV cameras at the news conference.... We were extremely pleased with the turnout. It is a pleasure working with you and the Newswise staff. They are most helpful!more >>

—Joe Kleinsasser, Wichita State University

• “I do follow your regularly e-mailed announcements of press releases and, as a medial journalist, I find them of great value.  The announcements regularly lead me to items of interest, which I report on in our Pain-Topics News/Research UPDATES. more >>

—Reporter

• “Release on cellphones and radiation exposure gains major news coverage.

more >>

—Environmental Health Trust

• “Seven years later I still am getting coverage for a story on contaminated makeup counters that I pitched in 2004. At the time we had more than 100 hits around the globe, in places I never could have reached without spending weeks with directories, web searches and emails. Newswise enabled me to reach reporters and outlets I could only dream about: CNN and 20/20 covered the story, as did...more >>

—Pat Quigley, Rowan University

• “ I love the ease and convenience of scanning the Newswise digests. I can quickly find exactly what I need: the newest research studies....What's more, the neuroscientists I found from Newswise press releases took starring roles in my latest book, Brain Sense.more >>

—Faith Byrnie, Book Author and Freelance Journalist

• “I use it all the time.more >>

• “Your service is great! more >>

• “I sent out a request for expert input through Newswise and got a very impressive response from a wide spectrum of experts who offered themselves as expert interview subjects.... I think it's a great enhancement to any reporter's search for sources and information. more >>

—Freelance Reporter

• “I definitely find Newswise valuable and use it quite often to search for studies or find experts. more >>

—Freelance Reporter

• “Newswise is one of my absolute favorite vehicles for getting media attention. It is so user-friendly to enter (and edit) stuff; you all are incredibly helpful; the format of Newswise looks professional; and it clearly has a wider audience (and more respect) than other vehicles.more >>

—Terry Goodrich, Baylor University

• “Using Newswise, I was able to reach the target media instantly and gain some nice national media placements as well as placements on key websites and blogs. The story landed 25 placements, something that pleased me and the researchers.more >>

—Bill Harms, University of Chicago

• “Your service is one of the most dependable and reliable out there. The bonus is that the content is rich, timely and oh-so useful.more >>

—Freelance Journalist

• “The easy access, patient and incredibly helpful customer support we receive from Newswise staff is the real hallmark of Internet-based service in today's fast-paced, communication world. more >>

—Jeannie Jones Manzer, South Dakota State University

• “As an independent public relations professional, I rely on the knowledge that when a medical/health writer sees the Newswise name, they know the content they’re receiving will be relevant and timely.more >>

—Leni Kass, RealTime Communications

• “We received quite a number of Newswise Wire follow-up calls. Most lead to stories by reporters....A significant portion of response from reporters came from Newswise via the ATS meeting wire. That was a huge outreach.more >>

—Keely Savoie, American Thoracic Society (ATS)

• “In total, at least 29 sources either republished the "No Soap" story ...that we posted on Newswise.more >>

—Holly Hosler, LifeBridge Health

• “I find Newswise especially helpful in reaching bloggers, who are difficult to find, often too numerous to pitch individually and whose contact information is rarely made public. One recent story about a business professor who studies fantasy football was featured in 10 or 12 blogs about fantasy sports, none of which I even knew existed. Another example was a blogger for MSNBC.com who saw...more >>

—Tom Snee, University of Iowa

• “I use Newswise now on a weekly basis to develop possible stories for the Harvard Health Blog, which is one of my duties. I find it very useful, and am grateful for the service you provide—and you can quote me on that!more >>

—Staff Reporter

• “Love the idea that now I can find the title via google!!! All in one place!! Nice move!more >>

—Janet Vasquez, Business School of Happiness

• “As a PR/communications professional it is reassuring to work with an organization like Newswise. You folks are great!more >>

—Phyllis Edelman, Genetics Society of America

Previous commentNext comment

Cancer News Source is a Newswise initiative to promote cancer research news to the public and news media.

Newswise is where journalists choose, connect, and use smart news.

Journalists use Newswise as a source for news leads and experts from the world’s leading organizations. Members of the media can get a PressPass for access to privileged Embargoed News and expert contact information.

Newswise members use Newswise to reach the media with their news releases through our website and email wires. Members are innovative, influential organizations world-wide, including top medical schools, universities, research institutions, public relations firms, government agencies, non-profit organizations, associations and advocacy groups.

Anyone interested in knowledge-based news can register for Newswise and subscribe to the email wires.

Read more about Newswise

Find out about membership opportunities

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Stumbleupon

Join our LinkedIn group for communications professionals:

PRwise