Couples and other adult family members living without minors in the house are just as likely as adults living with young children or adolescents to eat family meals at home on most days of the week, new research suggests.
– Ohio State University|19-Sep-2014 5:00 AM EDT
• Dialysis drives progressive white matter brain injury due to blood pressure instability; however, patients who dialyzed at 0.5◦C below body temperature were completely protected against such white matter changes.
– American Society of Nephrology (ASN)|18-Sep-2014 5:00 PM EDT
As much as we might try to leave personal lives at home, the personality traits of a spouse have a way of following us into the workplace, exerting a powerful influence on promotions, salaries, job satisfaction and other measures of professional success, new research from Washington University in St. Louis suggests.
– Washington University in St. Louis|18-Sep-2014 4:00 PM EDT
No matter how many times it’s demonstrated, it’s still hard to envision bacteria as social, communicating creatures. But by using a signaling system called “quorum sensing,” these single-celled organisms radically alter their behavior to suit their population. Helen Blackwell, a professor of chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has been making artificial compounds that mimic the natural quorum-sensing signals.
– University of Wisconsin-Madison |18-Sep-2014 4:00 PM EDT
New research into the Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus (CCHFV), a tick-borne virus which causes a severe hemorrhagic disease in humans similar to that caused by Ebolavirus, has identified new cellular factors essential for CCHFV infection. This discovery has the potential to lead to novel targets for therapeutic interventions against the pathogen.
– Texas Biomedical Research Institute|18-Sep-2014 3:30 PM EDT
Low-dose aspirin as effective as high-dose aspirin at preventing future heart attacks
– UT Southwestern Medical Center|18-Sep-2014 3:00 PM EDT
A nearly 600-year reconstruction of climate indicators along the West Coast of North America indicates that upwelling in the California Current became more variable over the latter part of the 20th century.
– University of Arkansas, Fayetteville|18-Sep-2014 3:00 PM EDT
Microtubule properties consistent with quantum theory of consciousness.
– Center for Consciousness Studies, University of Arizona, Department of Anesthesiology |18-Sep-2014 3:00 PM EDT
Cancer News Source is a Newswise initiative to promote cancer research news to the public and news media.
Newswise is where journalists choose, connect, and use smart news.
Journalists use Newswise as a source for news leads and experts from the world’s leading organizations. Members of the media can get a PressPass for access to privileged Embargoed News and expert contact information.
Newswise members use Newswise to reach the media with their news releases through our website and email wires. Members are innovative, influential organizations world-wide, including top medical schools, universities, research institutions, public relations firms, government agencies, non-profit organizations, associations and advocacy groups.
Anyone interested in knowledge-based news can register for Newswise and subscribe to the email wires.