Delectable Delights Highlight Flavors of Florida
Article ID: 672914
Released: 13-Apr-2017 7:05 AM EDT
Source Newsroom: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Newswise — GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- UF/IFAS scientists toil for years creating and enhancing many of the foods we consume and plants we enjoy. When it comes to plant breeding, UF/IFAS is a global leader. In fact, UF/IFAS is ranked as a top-10 horticulture program in the 2017 Center for World University Rankings.
Many of UF/IFAS’ tastiest creations will be available for consumption or on display at this year’s Flavors of Florida event.
Scheduled for April 24 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the University House, 2151 W. University Ave., Gainesville, Florida, the event offers guests an opportunity to sample foods containing UF/IFAS-developed ingredients prepared by local celebrity chefs. This year’s sample dishes will include citrus, tomatoes, meats, strawberries, blueberries and olive oil to tempt the taste buds. Additionally, non-edible plants, such as a relatively new cultivar of Mexican petunia, also will be showcased.
Other features at Flavors of Florida this year include:
- Ornamental plants bred by UF/IFAS scientists, such as Mexican petunia (Ruellia simplex). Wild Ruellia was introduced from Mexico and is an invasive plant in Florida and six other southern states. So far, UF/IFAS scientist Rosanna Freyre has developed four sterile cultivars in the Mayan series, which means they don’t become invasive by seed dispersal.
- Music by talented 4-H youth, the Messina brothers of Gilchrist County on the fiddles and 4-H alumnus Chandler Ash playing guitar and singing.
UF/IFAS also would like to thank the following partners for participating in this year’s Flavors of Florida:
- Florida Tomatoes
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Florida Foundation Seed Producers
- Straughn Farms
- Florida Sugar Cane Growers
- Florida Blueberry Growers
- Farm Credit of Florida
- Florida Olive Council
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association
- Florida Sugar Cane League
- Florida Peanut Producers Association
- Bates Sons & Daughters
- Classic Caladiums
- Florida Sea Grant
- Hinton Farms
- Quincey Cattle Company
- Spring Valley Farms
- Clear Creek Farm
- UF Field & Fork Program
- Riverview Flower Farm
- Swamp Head
- First Magnitude
- St. Augustine Distillery
- Southern Craft Creamery
For more information about Flavors of Florida, please contact the UF/IFAS Office of Advancement at 352-392-1975 or email@example.com.
By: Brad Buck, 352-294-3303, firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is to develop knowledge relevant to agricultural, human and natural resources and to make that knowledge available to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. With more than a dozen research facilities, 67 county Extension offices, and award-winning students and faculty in the UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, UF/IFAS works to bring science-based solutions to the state’s agricultural and natural resources industries, and all Florida residents. Visit the UF/IFAS web site at ifas.ufl.edu and follow us on social media at @UF_IFAS.